Parish of Leatherhead
All Saints Church, Kingston Road, Leatherhead
- and now
In the late 19th century the increasing population in the North of the parish led to the building of a district church on the Kingston Road.
The site was donated by Captain Richardson, who turned the first sod on Tuesday March 13th 1888. On May 29th the Foundation Stone was laid in the presence of the Bishop of Winchester by HRH the Duchess of Albany. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester on 23rd February 1889, when the petition of consecration was presented by Mr E J Richards, one of the churchwardens of the parish.
All Saints was built to seat 300 at a contract price of £1,610. The architect was Mr. (later Sir) Arthur Blomfield. Many subsequent additions were made, notably the Altar, Lady Chapel, children's corner, stained glass windows and a vestry.
In recent years extensive repairs had to be made to both the roof and the heating system. In 1981 the church was converted into a dual purpose centre: the Chancel was made into a small chapel seating 50 people, divided by a folding screen from the nave which now serves as a church hall.
The choir vestry was demolished and the South aisle redesigned with a new main entrance and ancillary rooms. The building was completely reroofed, the belfry removed and a modern heating system was installed. The architects were Nye, Saunders & Partners of Guildford.
The new All Saints Church Centre was rededicated by the Bishop of Dorking on March 28th 1982. Centenary celebrations were held in 1989, with a visit by the Bishop of Guildford.
The organ at All Saints was the original two manual Nicholson pipe organ installed at the opening of the church in 1889.
Information on All Saints' organists and choir leaders is provided [in this website] together with images of the Nicholson organ.
In May 2004 the All Saints' organ was advertised on eBay, as the role of All Saints was changing to serve the community in additional ways and an organ of this size and quality was no longer appropriate, however it remained unsold.
It was subsequently advertised via the organfax website. 14th February 2005 had been fixed for its removal. A last service in which the organ could be played was also fixed for 6th February. And so it all seemed. The service was held and David Oliver, the Parish's Director of Music played and recorded the organ. However, at the eleventh hour David Smith, from near Wells, contacted the Vicar to say he was interested in buying the organ. He visited the next day and a deal was struck.
The Church Lads Brigade World War I tryptich at All Saints can be seen on the Leatherhead War Memorials website.
On 9 April 2005 Leatherhead's Youth Cafe BFree was opened at All Saints'.
page last updated 14 June 2005